Thursday, April 5, 2012

More Using What You Have: Old Dressers

Or chests of drawers, or chester drawers (yes, they really do say that in the south!)

When my husband and I first got married, his father let him clean out the family's storage facility, which was full of things that belonged to my husband's grandmother.  A load of mid-century marvels.  Mid century was not a thing back then,and the furniture was definitely considered dated and out of style.  Plus, we had a three room apartment at the time, and nowhere to keep half the stuff.  I cry when I think of the amazing stuff we sold at garage sales to pay the rent back then.  But I digress.  What we did hang onto were the dressers, because we needed somewhere to put our clothes.  These dressers found their way out of use in the bedroom, but who can part with extra storage, especially cool, fashionable mid-century storage?  To be honest, I think I tried to sell them at one point, but had no takers.

If you have the extra room in your living space, a nice dresser can become a credenza, a buffet, a bar...use your imagination.  We put one in the living room, against a wall (gasp!), behind the couch, with walking space in between.  It houses all of my scrapbook stuff (I'm a Half Assed scrapbooker as well), and supplies for the kids' school projects.  Normally, it's dressed on top with a lamp, some tchochkes, and a photo or two, but here it is dressed up for Christmas:

The other one became a buffet/bar in the dining room.  Here's a photo and video:




Maybe I'm deluding myself.  Maybe these dressers look like bedroom furniture in the living space.  Who knows?  All I know is it's functional.

No comments:

Post a Comment