Friday, April 27, 2012

The Powder Room: Express Yourself!

When I decided to redo my powder room a few years ago, I decided that this tiny room is the perfect place in your home to add some whimsy and really express yourself.  I had found a really cute french memo board and decided to create a place for my guests to express themselves.  I hung the memo board on the wall, and a small shelf on which I placed colored scraps of cardstock and metallic gel pens, then let my guests do the decorating for me,


Since then, I've moved, and the new powder room didn't have a big enough space to hang the memo board, so it now hangs in our guest bath, along with these:


My husband got me these vinatge paper dolls for Christmas a few years ago (Grace Kelly and Bette Davis) and I decided it was a crime to keep themn the book where no one would see them, so I mounted them on textured black craft paper with double sided tape, framed them with cheap frames, then hung them up.

I still wanted that bit of irreverence in the powder room, though.  Since I had ordered a bunch of vintage ads from eBay a while back to put in my laundry room, I brought them into the powder room.  They're hilarious, they provide a bit of reading, and they add the fun aspect I like to see in there.

Lastly, I stole this idea from a magazine:  frame a fortune cookie fortune.  And when your fortune cookie tells you to "Never smell the inside of a hat," it's begging to be framed.

I saw an idea on Pinterest where someone had taken Polaroids of guests each time they came over and tacked them over the fireplace.  While I wouldn't put them over the fireplace, I would definitely cover the walls of my powder room, so as soon as I can pick up a cheap Polaroid camera, I see this happening at my house.

If you're a bit too traditional to go nuts in your living space, try working outside the box in your powder room.  Your guests will appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment