Friday, April 27, 2012

Found Art

I'm all about instant satisfaction.  If there's a blank space, I must fill it immediately.  And when you're Half Assed and cheap, that's pretty easy.  Look at those blank areas in your home.  If you're waiting for just the right thing, why not fill it with just the okay thing for now?  If you already own it, or if it's really cheap, why not use it as a temporary place filler?

I was at a friend's recently.  She has been telling me for about two years that she needs my help picking out something to dress the two story wall over her fireplace.  While we were discussing it, she mentioned a large mirror she had sitting on the floor of her bedroom.  She said she didn't know if it would work.  Well, there's only one way to find out!  I picked it up and brought it in and leaned against the wall on the mantel.  Then we took a few items from around her home and finshed the space off.  It took all of ten minutes, but she'd kept the space blank for two years.  It may not be the perfect arrangement she's been dreaming of, but it looks 1000 times better than that blank space, so it fits the bill perfectly until she finds the perfect things.  So let's work with what you have and fill some blank areas.

I have found that you can turn just about anything into something decorative.  If it's flat, add a mat and a frame and it's art.  If it's three dimensional, paint it to match.  Here are some nontraditional items I've turn into decor.

Vintage ads from old magazines.
T-shirts. 
Paper Dolls
Vintage menus
Jigsaw puzzles (kids room)
Mouse pads (kids playroom)
Old records
These are old recipe cards from the 70's I stuck to the pantry door.





I've matted and framed children's book covers to decorate my son's room.  I've stuck cool looking coasters to the wall near the bar with Command velcro strips.  My kitchen is full of cheap, melamine plates with cool desgns on them that I stuck to the wall, again using Command velcro.


My partner is the best at three dimensional found art.  I recently found a box of old pencils from my grandfather's company.  They're different looking-a little smaller than standard, and they definitely look old.  She pointed out how cool they'd look in an old jar next to the metal pencil sharpener I'd also gotten.  In an office, on a shelf, they'd be great decor.

In other words, stick something, anything, in that empty space, leave it there for a few days, and if you still don't like it, take it down.  Just do it!






No comments:

Post a Comment