Wednesday, January 18, 2012

What Is This About?

I am a professional decorator. Really. A suburban, low-budget one with no formal training, but nonetheless, people do pay me for my work. Some of it can be seen here: http://www.newperspectiveinteriors.net/.  When doing a job for a paying client, I try my best not to be Half Assed. After all, they could be Half Assed themselves for free. But I am always cheap, and can help people over the hurdle of “I just don’t know what to do!” by showing them the big picture. So why would I share my ideas and tricks of the trade with you for free? Well, because I am Half Assed, I don’t do a wonderful job of marketing our business, so we don’t get a ton of work. And because I like to share. Sharing’s my favorite.

If you hate decorating, this is not the blog for you. If you’re the kind of person who wants fine, quality items, lovingly chosen with care by someone with impeccable taste, and you want a timeless style that will last until you have grandchildren, there probably won’t be much for you here. If you’re a perfectionist, you will be utterly horrified. And if you’re in the market for expensive, rare fabrics and $10,000 window treatments, you may even find my projects awful. But if you love to change things around, mix up your style every few years, try new things constantly, I can help you. If you have almost no decorating budget, I can help you. If you think you have no creativity or style, you’re not crafty or handy, and you’re sick to death of white walls and overhead lighting, I can help you. These are the tricks I’ve learned by trial and error over the years, decorating and redecorating my own house, the houses of friends and clients, and office spaces.

I can’t promise to blog with any predictability, but I can promise that if you check in from time to time, you’ll find pictures, projects, ideas and guidance. I’m not a photographer, and I’m far too Half-Assed to hire one for this blog. So the photos come from my $100 digital camera and may be grainy and poorly lit. My videos will be the same, and also filled with me stumbling over my words, while the phone rings or the dog barks in the background. Sometimes I will be too Half-Assed to get out of my PJs or put on lipstick to film them. But that’s what Half-Assed is all about…doing just that bare minimum to get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment