Friday, January 20, 2012

Tool #3: THRIFT, or Your Shopping Guide

I mention constantly that I'm cheap, and it's true. You almost have to be cheap if you're planning to change things up all the time.  Being a Half Assed Decorator is great when you have kids, because if something get's broken or otherwise destroyed, it's no great loss.  I often tell my guests that there's nothing in my living room that cost over five dollars, so they needn't worry that their children accidentally knocked something over.  It makes people feel instantly comfortable in my home, which is really what you want, right?  I know there are probably moms out there who have it all together and can keep nice things.  I'm not one of them.

There are three aspects to being thrifty: Knowing where to look for bargains, knowing how to use what you have, and knowing how to make what you don't.

Make these stores your best friends.  Once you have a general idea of what you like, try to make a pass through them once a month. 

1.  Target.  I can't say enough about Target, mainly because they change their stock frequently and when they do, the old stuff goes on deep clearance.  Familiarize yourself with your local Target and figure out where they stash their clearance items--usually on end caps in each department.  Target usually marks things down mid-week, I'm not sure which day exactly, so if you're there in the latter half of the week, make it a habit to hit all the clearance spots.  Even if I'm just there for groceries, I'll hit all the clearance areas on my way.  Once you know where they are, it only takes a minute, and you'll be rewarded with three dollar decorating items.  I will often wait out a particular item until it goes on clearance.  It's a gamble, and sometimes I do lose.  Very recently, they had long palm leaves in white.  I have a new obsession with white.  They were $10 a bunch, and I needed two of them, so I decided I could wait them out, or find them cheaper elsewhere.  Well, I've scoured all my usual sources, and couldn't find them for less, so I went back to buy them and they had sold out.  But that happens very rarely, and I can tell you, it doesn't hurt nearly as much as buying something at full price and seeing it later at 90% off does.
2.  Marshall's, Ross, T.J. Maxx.  Ross is the cheapest of the three, and you generally will have to root through a mess to find anything, but when you do, it's guaranteed to be dirt cheap.
3.  Ikea.  Yes, their furniture doesn't always hold up well, but their decor items are cheap cheap, cheap!  This is THE cheapest place to go for frames, candles and candlesicks, mirrors, plants, and some artificial/dried floral items.
4.  Garden Ridge Pottery.  Don't know if you have one near you, but this is also a great place for floral/tchotchkes, and I've just recently found it's a gold mine for fabric remnants.
5.  Pier One.  Check the clearance items.  My best throw rugs were dirt cheap there, clearance of course.
6.  Hobby Lobby.  Lots of great decorative items, and when they're on clearance 66% off, they're even better.  Their stuff tends more towards traditional and it's a great place for teen items.  Just remember they're closed on Sundays and never buy decorative items there for full price--they run sales weekly and if you wait a week or two, you'll find it for 50% off.
7.  Craigslist.  I'm far too Half-Assed to drive all over the greater Houston area to obtain a great $5 item,  so I'll often just put my suburb name in the search box in "household", "general", and "furniture by owner" and see what's available.  For larger pieces, I'll make a trip.  I've gotten some of my best mid-century items there.  My 9' green velvet couch was less than $300 and was delivered to me for free!  MY breakfast room set, a badass orange cane and formica marvel including a buffet, table, and four chairs (which are now hanging in the garage waiting to be re-caned, thanks to the kids) was less than $400.
8.  Garage Sales, Thrift Stores.  Keep a list of what you're looking for so you can race through there quickly.
9.  Internet Shopping.  If it's a store I frequent, I usually buy it in the store.  Target's clearance items are much cheaper in the store than online, and you don't have to pay shipping.  But if you like stores like West Elm, Crate and Barrel, and Pottery Barn (which I do, but they're out of my budget), scan their sale stuff while you're watching TV.  I've found great deals for clients this way now and then.

We'll talk more later about using what you have and making what you don't, but as an example, remember those white palm leaves?  I bought some green ones at Hobby Lobby for 50% off what Target wanted and spray painted them white.

No comments:

Post a Comment