Monday, January 30, 2012

Fabric Remnant Wall Hanging in Eight Minutes or Less

This project came about in my old house.  I had bought fabric for my mom to make valances (actually, it wasn't technically fabric, it was several shower curtains bought at the Marshall's outlet--I couldn't find fabric with a pattern I liked at the time) and there was some left over.  I had one of those two story living rooms with big, blank walls on the second story.  You can't hang artwork that high, and I hated the blank space, so I took a piece of the remaining fabric and stapled it to canvas stretchers I'd bought at Michael's.  To be honest, I can't say whether this was my own, original idea.  I'd like to think it was, because I can't remember who I stole it from, but given my track record, it probably wasn't.  Here's the result:


Since then, I've picked up fabric remnants with patterns I like for later use.  I say remnants, because I'm too Half Assed to wait for a clerk to cut fabric from a bolt for me, because remnants are usually dirt cheap, and because I'm easily overwhelmed by the choices available in bolt form.  I got these two from Ikea's remnant bin.  The first one I used to cover barstools and make throw pillow covers, and the second I haven't found a use for yet.



As you can see, I've used them here as makeshift window coverings, but that's another post.  Suffice it to say the Half Assed Decorator hates curtains.  These could be made easily more elegant by adding a frame (an open one, like for a canvas painting).  Look for frames at garage sales and on clearance, spray paint them if you need to.  I didn't frame these because I haven't yet found one that works with the decor.  I've made these to match bedding in a guest room with too many empty walls.  When looking for the bedding, I found duvet covers on clearance at Target for under $10.  I bought one for the bed, and cut the other one to make a wall hanging.  (The wall hanging was actually necessary to cover up a spot on the wall where we had removed something bolted to the wall and had been to Half Assed to paint under it.)  These things are handy space fillers and dirt cheap! 

Recently (and for the purpose of making this video, I might add), I did one for my partner's daughter's room.  As I mention in the video, we decided since the pattern was small, we'd add something to it.  Be forewarned:  The Half Assed Decorator has man hands and a grating voice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqTEQqm9_wI&feature=youtu.be

COST:
Fabric Remnant       $8-10
Canvas Stretchers    $6-8
Decorative Letter     $3.50

                                 $17.50-21.50

1 comment:

  1. I was asked last night about how to put the frame together. We actually had to edit that part of the video out because we ran into a problem. Normally, the edges of the stretched pieces are slotted, and they just fit together nicely. You could then secure them with a screw, but it's really not necessary, because the fabric you're stapling to it will hold it in place.

    When I went to fit the pieces together for the video, there was a loose piece of wood wedged in the slot of one of them, and I ended up using my favorite tool, a butter knife, to pry it out. I didn't film that part because I was afraid I might break the stretcher in the process and scare you all off of this project.

    ReplyDelete