Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Yes You Can: Recovering Upholstered Stools or Chairs

Simple when you have a staple gun and some guts.  Truly, this is one of those "what's the worst that can happen?" projects.  If you cover over the existing fabric (and why not?) and hate it or screw it up, you simply pry up your staples and forget about it.

As I've mentioned before, be on the lookout for precut pieces of fabric or remnants.  If you have a Hobby Lobby or Ikea in your area, they both carry tons of decorator fabrics in upholstery weight.  Or, as I've mentioned before, keep your mind open.  If the pattern you like happens to be on a shower curtain or a deeply discounted duvet cover, it will do just fine.  In the video below, I am recovering my Ikea dining room chairs with an orange velour remnant I found at Garden Ridge Pottery.  The entire piece (3 yards) was $5.99, which was more than double what I needed for the six chairs.  These chairs had seats that popped right out-- they weren't secured in any way, which made the project a snap.  Your chairs might be fastened in some way.  Take a look at the underside of them.  Usually, it's an obvious set of screws, like this:



 I bought these barstools off a guy selling old, used office equipment for $5 a piece.  I don't remember what they looked like when I got them, but I quickly recovered them with that lovely shower curtain material I had scads of, and it was as easy as finding the screws and removing them.

This will also work on the seat of a wooden chair or barstool, just add some padding first.  I spray painted these wooden barstools, then added a piece of circular foam padding and topped it with fabric.


 Not the most fabulous barstools in the world, but totally functional, and nearly free, since I already had them in the garage.

Here's how:
(You get to see the HAD here...in what amounts to my pajamas at the end of a long day.  One day I'll shoot a video when I'm looking all fresh and pretty.)
http://youtu.be/Lp-Mn77FphY

No comments:

Post a Comment