Sunday, February 5, 2012

Quilted Bulletin Board

One of the reasons I've fallen behind on my posts is that the day I launched this blog and linked it on Facebook and Pinterest, I started getting calls asking me to work.  Am I the only one who finds this amusing?  I write a blog about my Half Assed ways, and it inspires people to hire me.  Anyway, we've been quite busy.  One of our current projects is a craft room for a client who scrapbooks, does needlework, etc.  I'm excited about it, it's going to look fab when we're done, but the bulk of the budget has to go to functional items, as opposed to decorative stuff, since she needs a lot of storage for supplies, a large table, chairs, lighting, etc.  That leaves a very small amount left to bring in color, so we've had to make most of our items do a double duty.  She wants something to pin up ideas and works in progress.  Bulletin boards are cheap, but not pretty, and definitely not colorful.  We found a large, colorfully framed corkboard at Marshall's, but it was $50, which was more than our budget could handle.  Right behind it, though, was an identical, damaged one.  The sides were scuffed, there was a streak of glue across the cork, and some of the cork was missing.  We spoke to the manager and asked for a discount.  She reduced the price to $36, and we took it, knowing we could fix it up.  We removed the scuffs on the frame with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.  (The generic version, actually.)  That left this:



We figured we'd buy some new cork and glue it on top of the existing stuff, but then we saw a really cool bulletin board that had squares of fabric on it.  I had leftover fabric from another project for that room, so instead of buying a sheet of cork, I bought cork tiles at Target for $6.44.


  I covered three of the tiles with the fabric, using hot glue,


Then I hot glued all of the tiles in place.  This is the final look, minus the last two cork tiles in the lower left and right corners.

Now her functional board is also artwork for the room!  We have some other fun ideas for this room I'll be sharing soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment